Friday, November 8th–Senior Comp

Screen Shot 2013-11-07 at 1.23.06 PM

Ok, so–if the planets have aligned–you are cruising along with your research and you’re ready to start drafting.

First, I just found out we have direct access to ProQuest while we are here at Shorewood. Here’s the link.

Therefore, we have two important skills to work on: a) integrating research quotes into your paper and b) writing in MLA style.

Let’s say I want to establish there is problem with Internet fraud.

I need to make sure that I cite my sources so that I give proper credit to the place and the people I got more information and so someone else could go back and check my source and see if I was being truthful. It makes me more credible and believable. I’ll cite my sources if either 1) I quote them directly or 2) I use the source’s ideas. Here I really want to quote.

The US government defines internet fraud as “any type of fraud scheme that uses one or more components of the Internet – such as chat rooms, e-mail, message boards, or Web sites – to present fraudulent solicitations to prospective victims, to conduct fraudulent transactions, or to transmit the proceeds of fraud to financial institutions or to other connected with the scheme.” This means that when a criminal uses the internet to trick people into false transfers of money by pretending to be someone he is not the Federal Government considers that a crime. In 2012 alone, the FBI received 282,000 complaints about internet fraud.

…now that’s a pretty good start but we need to tell our readers where we got that info. So, we go to¬† Easy Bib where we can learn how to properly cite our info. And this is what we get.

The US government defines internet fraud as “any type of fraud scheme that uses one or more components of the Internet – such as chat rooms, e-mail, message boards, or Web sites – to present fraudulent solicitations to prospective victims, to conduct fraudulent transactions, or to transmit the proceeds of fraud to financial institutions or to other connected with the scheme” (Internet Fraud). This means that when a criminal uses the internet to trick people into false transfers of money by pretending to be someone he is not the Federal Government considers that a crime. In 2012 alone, the FBI received 282,000 complaints about internet fraud (FBI).

And I want to record the full citation for my Works Cited page below:

Works Cited

FBI. National White Collar Crime Center. IC3 2012 Internet Crime Report Released. IC3 2012 Crime Report Released. FBI, 14 May 2013. Web. 7 Nov. 2013.

“Internet Fraud.” Internet Fraud. 15 May 2001. US Government. 5 Oct 2006 <http://www.internetfraud.usdoj.gov/#What%20Is%20Internet%20Fraud>.

Go here for more information about the formatting of a MLA-style paper. This handout is also useful to show you how the quoting process can work in many different situations.

Some of the most common verb choices to introduce quotes include:

• explains
  • indicates
  • notes
  • observes
  • remarks
  • states

Two quick points. You can use ellipsis (…) to make cuts within your quote and you can use brackets ([ ]) to change something small within the quote, such as a capitalization or an unclear reference.

Your turn. Choose either your hook, problem, solution, critic, or call to action section that will include research. Write the paragraph and post it onto QuestionPress by the end of the period.